[packagers] Smokeping RPM

mchandler at solutions.canon.com mchandler at solutions.canon.com
Fri Dec 1 21:36:23 CET 2006

I was trying to update the RPM I found for Smokeping from 2.0.4 to 2.0.9
and I've run into some problems.  I built the RPM with "rpmbuild -ba
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/smokeping.spec" and it named it internally and
externally with smokeping.noarch.2.0.9-0.0.%{dist_tag}.%{vendor_tag}.rpm  I
renamed the file and then I noticed that yum kept referencing the old name
internally as variables.  I guess it has an internal spec file inside the
RPM.  I went ahead and used it to upgrade a test server and it looks like
it's working, but I'm not sure what to check exactly.  The binaries are the
same, but I suppose they got updated.  The version # in the webpage for
smokeping changed and it's still working, but I have an uneasy feeling.  I
looked through the spec file and I see where it names those variables, but
I don't see how or where it defines them.  I've search online, but I'm so
new to this that I have no idea where to look or how to search for it.  I
checked out rpm.org and some other linux resources, but to no avail.  Any
ideas?

Chandler Bing