[packagers] Exclude the same build requirements as Fedora Extras?

Dries Verachtert dries at ulyssis.org
Mon Jan 2 22:19:10 CET 2006

On Monday 19 December 2005 18:23, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Matthias Saou wrote:
> > Seeing how our set of base packages, decided a while back, has stuck
> > until now, and seeing how annoying it seems to be for Dries adding all
> > those gcc-c++ build requirements ;-) (which I find of very little
> > relevance, since libtool often adds that mandatory configure check even
> > for software that doesn't have anything coded in C++...), I'd like to
> > suggest following the same guideline as Fedora Extras regarding the set
> > of basic build requirements not required to be specified in spec files :
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines#Exceptions
> >
> > I think the only major change is gcc-c++, but it's the one I'd like to
> > have most ;-)
> >
> > Currently, I'm still using the basic set of packages from the Fedora
> > Extras default mock configuration (which includes a lot more stuff, like
> > gettext, autotools, flex, bison...), but I'd switch back to just the
> > above if we agree on it.
>
> For me that makes sense. I second this, even though I'm not using the
> BuildRequirements myself currently. (I guess I desperately need a course
> on mock in February :-))
>
> BTW I would add python to that list as well, as most of the python modules
> use %(python ...), like with perl modules.

Hello,
For me it's ok to change the list of base packages. As far as i know, the
previous list did not contain gcc-c++ so i'm adding it if needed :-)

Currently i have the following in the build environments. This works at least
on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, 3, Aurora 1.92, 1.91 and Fedora Core
5,4,3,2,1:
basesystem filesystem setup bash glibc coreutils findutils
rpm-devel rpm-build make gcc tar gzip patch unzip bzip2 diffutils cpio
elfutils redhat-rpm-config perl + any dependencies

What about adding a 'rpmforge-buildenvironment.spec' or something like that?
It should depend on everything which we assume available in the minimal build
environment. That's handy for people who want to rebuild rpms and also then
it's easy to describe how to rebuild stuff in faqs.

Ok for everybody i guess:
make gcc tar gzip patch unzip bzip2 diffutils cpio perl

We'll add this:
gcc-c++

Also add one or more of the following? These are quite common
buildrequirements:
desktop-file-utils
python
python-devel
pkgconfig
automake
autoconf
libtool
flex
bison
gettext
intltool and perl-XML-Parser
xorg-x11-devel, XFree86-devel, whatever it's called this week
perl-Module-Build
db4-devel
ncurses-devel
readline-devel
zlib-devel
openssl-devel
krb5-devel
glib-devel and/or glib2-devel
sqlite-devel
libxml2-devel
libpcap

I guess also adding desktop-file-utils, python, python-devel, pkgconfig,
automake, autoconf, libtool, flex, bison, gettext, intltool, perl-XML-Parser
wont hurt anybody :)  Your thoughts?

kind regards,
Dries

--
Rpm packages for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Fedora Core and Aurora at
http://dries.ulyssis.org/rpm/