[packagers] SPEC files for several catalyst (perl) related packages.

Alessandro Forghieri alf at orion.it
Mon Dec 31 11:22:30 CET 2007

Hi Dag.

Great job.

I checked the relevant DBIx/Class Makefile.PL,
and the Test::Builder requirement is a build_require (and needed
only for tests, at that.

So letting it out of the spec would not impair run time functionality, and that is what I'd do,
because DBIx::Class is an almost irreplaceable part of Catalyst (it is possible to
use it with DBI::Class, but that is clearly the losing technology, which is less and
less mentioned in docs, articles, lists and so on). A newer Test::Simple would conflict
because of a man page - as does Tie::Refhash. Which is annoying to no end: wouldn't it be
possible to change the man install basedir to /usr/local/man? That would make the package overlay
with coreperl clean and painless.

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 09:37:12PM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Alessandro Forghieri wrote:
>
> Hi Alessandro,
>
> This is what I did today, most of the modules that fail, fail because of
> perl-DBIx-Class that is missing. And it cannot be build because it
> requires perl(Test::Builder) >= 0.33 which is missing from the upstream
> perl package (which includes an older perl-Test-Simple).

[...]
> We can look at the remaining ones. Maybe it is possible to package an
> older perl-DBIx-Class that is satisfied with what perl offers. I don't
> know.
>
> But at least we are somewhat closer to where we want to be ;-)

Have a very Happy New Year.
alf