[packagers] Re: [users] Dropping the repotag

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Mar 15 20:21:06 CET 2007

Dag Wieers wrote :

> > Why do you "feel the need to do this"? You no longer want to "play
> > nice"? Are there any technical reasons behind the change? Just
> > curious...
>
> No, I prefer a repotag if everyone plays nice. If EPEL does not add a
> repotag, I don't think they should be having the advantages that we do
> play nice. Sorry, but I'm tired of the arrogance.
>
> Apparently, if I do the request I am one person with a wish, and everyone
> by default is against it. On the other hand, RPMforge has all the RHEL
> users and EPEL has none. But that doesn't make a difference, because I am
> the only one that wants a repotag.
>
> To summarize, if only *me* wants a repotag, than why have it at all ?
>
> Sorry matthias, the arrogance and ignorance is tiring me off. I do not
> want special treatement, but I also do not want to opposite.

I looked at the EPEL list (I need to catch up on days of posts...), and
saw what you're referring to :

https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-March/msg00224.html

Maybe I've missed some posts prior to that, but I'm sorry to say that
regarding "arrogance", you started with quite a bit yourself :-( (which
is never the best start to get people to listen carefully and eventually
change their mind)

I, myself, don't really see the need for repotags. Sure, it's nice to
indicate at the first glance where the package came from, but it's
clearly an abuse of the release tag. Just like the "disttag" is, both
are just as bad in that regard, but from a usability POV, I find it more
important to know what distro/version a package is for, than from where
it came. Especially since the "packager" and "buildhost" tags are much
easier to see (rpm -qi) than the "distribution" one (which doesn't have
any sane build time default anyhow).

I dropped the repotag from my freshrpms packages a while back, mostly
because I got tired of the usual "Why are all your packages only in
French? Where can I get English versions?" emails, and because after we
started adding the disttags, file names were getting a bit too long and
confusing IMHO.

Lastly, I fail to see what rpmforge has to do with EPEL when it comes
to repotags, and why one's decision would influence the other? Either :
- rpmforge and EPEL shouldn't be used together
- rpmforge and EPEL should be used together, so no duplicates

And in both cases, one having a repotag and the other not shouldn't be
an issue at all :-)

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6
Load : 0.38 0.48 0.49