[packagers] libdvdread/EPEL

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Sep 25 00:50:11 CEST 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> On Wednesday, 24 September 2008 at 01:05, Dag Wieers wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Rex Dieter wrote:
>>
>>> I plan on getting libdvdread into EPEL, and checked that rpmforge
>>> currently includes an older libdvdread-0.9.7 (el4, el5).   The version I'd
>>> prefer to import/build is libdvdread-4.1.3, which is api compatible, but
>>> has new abi/soname.
>>
>> Can't seem to find this version though except from the mplayer website.
>
> Well, we don't have a web guy on board so we're borrowing MPlayer's site.
> Help is welcome. :)

Ok. But a simple page that gives some information and a link to the
download be sufficient. How else would I know there is an update if there
is only one URL to the file and nothing else.

Hell, the freshmeat record still has 0.9.7 as the latest release...

>> Which worries me because the version number suddenly surges out of range
>> and if this "new" maintainer is just forking, or some other people
>> continue the old branch, we are version-wise doomed.
>
> You can always use Epoch:.

That is very bad advice. Try to get repositories work together with
epochs. We have been there, it sucks :)

>> How can we know for sure this 4.1.3 is indeed the continued proven libdvdread
>
> Let me explain where the forked libdvdread comes from first.
>
> This libdvdread fork comes from the libdvdread source that was
> included in libdvdnav, which we split into a separate tree.
> It is actually based on libdvdread-0.9.4 with lots of bugfixes from
> Nico and others. We are working on porting 0.9.7 changes to our fork,
> but there are some with which our main developer doesn't agree, so
> they won't be included in our fork.

So my fear of a fork is granted. What is even more, the newer 4.1.3
release is a fork of older code than what we ship now, with an inflated
version. I wonder why you guys did not just rename the library instead...

> The main point in favour of our fork is that it is actively developed,
> while the last release of libdvdread (0.9.7) was almost two years ago.
> Also, there's been no activity on their development mailing list for
> a year or so, and the last message was about switching to SVN.

Did you contact the developers directly ?

> Here's a link to our development policy:
> http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/dvdnav/trunk/libdvdnav/DEVELOPMENT-POLICY.txt?view=co
> As you can see, we have no intention of making it a library which
> caters to the specific needs of MPlayer.
>
> I'll be happy to answer any further questions you might have.

> PS. Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE and Gentoo are already using this fork
> for their packages.

I noticed that, but still it feels wrong in many ways.

PS I guess I also need a newer dvdnav ?