[packagers] Downtime earlier today

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Thu Dec 3 11:04:21 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 10:59 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> The other option is to kill that list completely. and just have people
> interested in the commits pickup over an rss feed ( as an example ).

I don't like this RSS feed idea unless there's a way to receive the
posts as e-mail messages in Evolution.

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 07:36 -0500, Steve Huff wrote:

> my impression is that we track commits primarily for the benefit of
> the package builders, so that when someone else commits an updated
> package, the builders get notified and think "oh hey, i should build
> that package when i have a moment".

I use commit mailing lists a lot to track commits from different open
source projects. Whenever somebody does a new commit, I am notified by
e-mail and I can look into this during the usual morning mail marathon.

In case of RPMForge I can quickly review the packages of interest that's
just got modified and spot stupid mistypes / errors as I already did
more than once.

This is a passive process. I don't have to update my svn tree (which
takes ages, btw), and do diffs between the last revision I had and the
HEAD and then crawl through it.

Any kind of active browsing process is a PITA. The only problem right
now is the freaking spam that sneaks through my bogofilter and spoils
the whole thing. Also, now bogofilter is generically tagging more legit
mailing list messages as spam, which is bad bad bad.

I can't see how switching to something completely new and requiring
active interaction is easier to implement than just allow posts only
from single IP by means of mailman or the mail server. I am pretty sure
that mailman has this kind of IP filtering built in.

At very least you can put in a regex to check for specific header.
Spammers are not going to bother to try to circumvent this for sure...
And I KNOW that this one is in there for sure.

Does anyone has access to mailman admin interface over here?