[packagers] FYI: The SafeRepo Initiative

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Sun Dec 6 14:14:52 CET 2009

Hi!

I recently stumbled upon the IUS Community Project web page.

In a nutshell, it's an EL4/EL5 repository with MP/Python stack,
maintained by Rackspace engineers, which was previously only available
to Rackspace clients, but not long ago they decided to make it freely
available to the world, because it does not really mean the increase of
efforts for them and brings more testing / external contributions to the
initiative.

Please check their website out:

http://iuscommunity.org/

What's interesting about this project is that it's a repository, which
purposely replaces base RHEL packages. However, they came up with the
specification on how to do this in the "safe" way (e.g. providing easy
roll-back etc.) and keep the interoperability with other repositories:

http://saferepo.iuscommunity.org/specification/

The question of how we proceed when replacing core packages (e.g. Perl
modules or Subversion) has been already brought up more than once. I
think it's a good idea to adopt their policy or think how we can
extend / modify it to suit our needs. Maybe one day even the
interoperability policy with EPEL can be revisited.

P.S. I've recently found another repository which might be worth
stealing SPECs from to a certain extent :-)

http://odiecolon.lastdot.org/