[packagers] Re: [users] Why No Postfix Package

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Dec 15 15:04:51 CET 2009

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 14:24 +0100, Christoph Maser wrote:
>> Am Dienstag, den 15.12.2009, 13:32 +0100 schrieb Yury V. Zaytsev:
>>> If you agree that we do need a consistent policy for this, feel free to
>>> comment on this issue.
>>
>> I certainly think we need a written policy.
>> I would vote for a very strict policy for the repo (stuff with yum/apt
>> metadata) and a more/very loose one for the package pool.
>
> Well, actually, I think all we need is just another dar tag, say "risky"
> so that all that is tagged as risky goes to a separate repo.

That certainly is a possibility. The problem however is interdependencies
between the non-risky and risky repository.

> So in the end we will end up with "stable" repo and the "risky" repo.
> Stable can be enabled by default and does not replace any of the core
> packages.
>
> Risky can replace core packages and would generally be used by people
> who know what they are doing.
>
> The only thing that I am not sure how to implement is automated package
> update notifications if the repo is disabled by default and used on
> per-package basis.
>
> Otherwise, if the repo is expected to be enabled by default, then we
> have to do something like SafeRepo (mess with conflicts / obsoletes or
> what not), so that the packages does not get replaced unless user
> explicitly tells yum install to do this.

What really is needed is allow yum to understand that it only needs to
update a package coming from the same repository than the one that is
installed (unless forced).

That would make things much, much easier, and no special repository would
be needed. And if it would be as capable as apt wrt. finding a working
set of packages with minimal removals or repository changes, mixing
repositories would not be as problematic as it is today.

To me the problem resides completely to the depsolver, it's a policy
decided by the user. And not some bit-switch related to what repository
you enable. (because it is all-or-nothing, or you manually have to
exclude/include packages, which is silly)