[packagers] Re: [users] Why No Postfix Package

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Tue Dec 15 15:17:58 CET 2009

Hi Karanbir!

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 13:56 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> I think we just need to consider the rpmrepo move, and let rpmforge be
> as it is right now.
>
> After all, if traction is the only bit missing - we seem to have some
> right now.

Hmmm... I remember the e-mail posted by Dag awhile ago about the future
of RPMForge / RPMRepo:

http://dag.wieers.com/blog/rpmforge-the-desire-for-more-professionalism

This happened back in September. We're at the end of December.
Absolutely no progress ever since (unless I'm actually missing something
very important). Where's this traction you're talking about?

We're few active packagers out there (this is an improvement). However,
speaking of me personally, I'm *very* short of time (just as everybody
else out there), so I can't contribute as much as I would love to /
probably ought to.

Nevertheless, the sporadic updates get committed to the SVN, but
packages are not being rebuild, because of the lack or time / hardware.
There's no coordinated ongoing cleanup effort, no clearly defined
policies. Yum issues complicate the whole thing.

Dag is still overbooked and the single point of failure (and I'm *not*
blaming him for this, just stating the fact). No new hardware was
acquired that I know of.

Well, in fact I'm not blaming anyone. It's just the way it is. And I
don't see the way out. I can't find more time in a foreseeable future to
lead this transition.

Do you know of anyone who's working on this? Maybe you have some secret
meetings / hidden agenda that I don't know of? :-)