[packagers] autobuilding assumptions

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Thu Dec 24 20:11:15 CET 2009

Hi!

On Thu, 2009-12-24 at 11:19 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Can we get agreement to the assumptions and notes so far posted ?
> Ideally all of the following people would ack this:

Well, I've just posted what I had on my mind :-) Other than that, all I
can tell is that you're doing an incredibly valuable and important job.
It will be a huge leap forward toward a better repo for all of us.
Thanks and keep up the good job!!!

By the way, what about the buildlog format? Can you make it somehow
compatible with what Dag currently uses? My idea would be to eventually
persuade him to pull the stuff from you and resign it once we've got the
system stably working for quite some time.

> > My suggestion: since you have the logins anyway, we can create a wiki
> > page at rpmrepo with a table, that would contain real name, svn login,
> > area of expertise / comments and some contact information (email?).
>
> humm. we could do that - but then do people want to take ownership of
> some specific packages each ? At the moment its a bit of a free for all.

Hmmm, by the area of expertise I meant something very general, not the
detailed list of the packages they are currently working on. I guess
that so far "Authority" tag and committers ids / changelog were
sufficient to identify who's mainly responsible for the package.

> This should not be hard to do - but would need some thinking about. eg.
> where is a list of packages that build-ok maintained or how is a package
> marked as test-build-only or production-build. Getting the mechanics
> right initially would be crucial.

Again, dar in its current incarnation has a "Test" tag, which means that
"test" packages are ignored by the metadata generator. I think this
doesn't really need a change.

Yury V. Zaytsev <yury at shurup.com>