[packagers] Re: [users] Why No Postfix Package

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Thu Dec 24 22:37:09 CET 2009

Hi Karanbir and Dag!

Thanks for taking your time to educate me on this issue. Now I can see
more clearly and I really appreciate it.

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 16:23 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:

> > I'm not knowledgeable enough nor have enough time to do this, but if we
> > shout about that on the list and really consider it a solution that is
> > worth to be pursued / document it on the wiki, maybe someone can finally
> > come and tackle this?
>
> I have been waiting for that a few years now :-)

Now I understand that "fixing" yum to a certain extent is the only
viable solution (the recent discussion on the CentOS list and the wiki
page about the "priorities" plugin helped a lot).

But Dag, I don't think that everything's so hopeless. Our peers from the
IUS repository has recently pushed a yum fix that will hopefully be
included in RHEL 5.5 that solves a major depresolving issue:

http://yum.baseurl.org/ticket/296

If we can clearly formulate the way we would like yum to work and
clearly explain why it should be that way, I think they will be happy to
help us to back up and push these changes upstream for the common good.

The only problem so far is that I have no clue what these changes would
be. But I can try help to document / spread it :-)

Once we've got this sorted out we can just require yum-skip-broken by
rpmforge-release and everybody will be happy ;-)