[packagers] Question about creating rpms from perl modules

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Thu Jan 1 16:05:44 CET 2009

I am interested in a project named Evergreen which is an
open source library catalog system.  If you're curious,
their website is http://open-ils.org/.

My goal is to create rpm packages for Evergreen and all
requirements that aren't available in the standard repos.

My question is: do you have advice about building rpms
for perl modules?  I started using cpanspec to create
spec files, and this worked until I came across a module
that updates several files from another package.  I don't
want to use the --force option for rpm, because that can
cause other problems.  I see that cpan2rpm hasn't been
updated in years and wonder if that is a good solution
for el5.

As a side note, I would be interested in submitting rpms
that I build.  Do you have a guide or a list of standards
for spec files?

Carl T. Miller
I.T. Consultant
carltm.com