[users] Re: [packagers] kmod modules for fuse and kqemu

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon May 4 12:46:25 CEST 2009

On Mon, 4 May 2009, Fabian Arrotin wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:

>> >  is the src.rpm also available?
>>
>>  Yes, both are there.
>>
>>  In fact I also have made kmod-ndiswrapper, but it has a problem with
>>  tainting the kernel (and kmodtool adds a requirement that cannot be
>>  resolved). I have to look into what's the best solution here (I saw Livna
>>  has kmod-ndiswrapper packages too, so somehow they made it work)
>>
>>  Then for me the only dkms modules I would still use are the virtualbox
>>  ones (which ship with VirtualBox). However I would like to replace all
>>  dkms package with kmod ones eventually.
>
> That's what is used for the CentOS provided kmods .. but of course that can
> only be used for CentOS/RHEL >=4.7 and CentOS/RHEL 5.x (thanks to the kABI)
>
> So what about other distros supported/maintained within RPMforge ? (aka Red
> Hat 7.x up to $latest Fedora)

That's a good question, since these are nodist packages they end up in all
repositories anyhow, but the kmod packages replace the dkms packages so in
effect the kmod packages end up being used (where they are available, and
work).

I still have to look into making the kmod packages work for both RHEL4 and
RHEL5, I am now mostly focused on RHEL5 only (so RHEL4 will be dkms for
the time being).