[packagers] builders: please include rpm-macros-rpmforge in your build environments

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Thu Oct 22 16:55:00 CEST 2009

hello folks!

this message is directed primarily at our esteemed colleagues who run
build systems, and stems from a recent IRC conversation.  some
background:

http://lists.rpmforge.net/pipermail/packagers/2009-September/000920.html
http://lists.rpmforge.net/pipermail/packagers/2009-October/000952.html

in a nutshell: Christoph has been working hard to clean up the various
tangled messes of bogus autogenerated dependencies among Perl packages
in rpmforge, and i have been attempting to follow his lead as best i
can.  the solution we're currently using is to use the
%filter_from_requires macro to scrub out all the autogenerated Perl
module dependencies, then add them explicitly in the specfile.

unfortunately, this means that none of these packages will build on a
build system that doesn't have the rpm-macros-rpmforge package
installed, since that provides the necessary macros.  what's worse, we
can't even get around the problem by specifying BuildRequires: rpm-
macros-rpmforge (though i've been doing that anyway, just to make it
easier to find the affected packages), since rpmbuild can't parse a
specfile that contains an unresolvable macro :(

so, if it's not too much trouble, please modify your buildsystem
configs so that this package is always installed, and let us know when
you've done so; alternately, if you're not going to do this, please
say so, so that we can look into solving the problem another way
(though of course i'd prefer not to have to do that).

many thanks,
-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v