[packagers] Trac/Svn update status

Tom G. Christensen tgc at statsbiblioteket.dk
Wed Aug 25 11:36:22 CEST 2010

Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Tom G. Christensen wrote:
>
>> Dag Wieers wrote:
>>>  No answers yet...
>> You're aware that Fedora just made this transition to git? (though from CVS)
>>
>> There's a brief introduction/summary of how the new setup works here:
>> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2010-July/000647.html
>>
>> Perhaps not the way you want to go but should atleast provide some food for
>> thought.
>
> Well, maybe we should do it like this. I just wonder how we can give
> people rights to create a new package/repository. Or maybe I simply don't
> know git well enough to understand what is possible to that regard.

I rarely have to create remote repos but IIRC you will need to run 'git
init --bare' on the serverside and then you can push content to the repo.
How this is handled in Fedora I have no idea.

> But apart from the technical challenges, I do think it is important we
> move to a distributed versioning system.

+1 (as long as it's git ;))

> PS From Fedora's gitweb it's clear that git will not be a solution to the
> massive package index :-/ http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/ At least
> viewvc allows to limit the number of entries and allows to navigate
> alphabetically. I hope gitweb will have that functionality as well...

The repositories are sorted alphabetically already in gitweb or did you
mean something else?

The first few days after migration gitweb did not work AFAIK because of
severe performance issues due to the large amount of repos.
I'm not sure what has been done to fix it, but it might be worth
inquiring about that.

-tgc