[packagers] qa, workflow, here we go again

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Nov 3 01:25:07 CET 2010

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010, Bert de Bruijn wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Yury V. Zaytsev <yury at shurup.com> wrote:
>
>> Why wouldn't we discuss if there is any chance to collaborate on DAR
>> rewrite and now that the hardware has been found on the installation and
>> maintenance of this hardware.
>>
>> Is there any tasks that Dag can offload to somebody else? There's a need
>> for a plan an break down of individual sub-tasks.
>
> I'll have the new workhorse (just a decent PC, really) at Dag's place next
> week, and I hope we can get round to installing it right away, even though
> that's not the purpose of my visit. As the machine will be hosted at Dag's
> place, I guess he's the only one who'll maintain it.

And the good news is that it was a real! drop-in replacement. We moved the
disks to the new system and the system booted with 4 CPUs and 8GB of RAM.
A test with wine shows that a rebuild went down from 40 mins to 8 mins !!

Other operations go visibly faster, KVM becomes an option as well as Koji.
The only dead-slow operations are an 'svn up' and collecting the new
packages to be signed (an expensive find :-/), hopefully if I buy two new
disks to replace the RAID-1 200GB disks any I/O bottlenecks hit later :)

> The DAR changes/rewrite, I guess that could be a cooperative work...

It would be nice to have a front-end that can drive mock, chroots,
kvms, subversion and even interact with Koji.