[packagers] RPMforge and RHEL6

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Sun Nov 14 20:02:10 CET 2010

On Sun, 2010-11-14 at 19:39 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:

> => patch --fuzz=0 problems (patches that work with RHEL5 and older, fail
>     on RHEL6)

What exactly seems to be the problem? The patches just need to be
updated. Packagers generally tend to ignore this, because it's a bit
tedious, but as a result nobody is checking whether old patches are
still needed at all and controlling whether patch's AI is doing the
right thing when applying fuzzy patches.

I guess by forcing fuzz=0 RH decided finally to make people to keep
their patches up to day, or their stuff is just not going to compile
anymore.

It is interesting, for instance how Debian is trying to solve the same
problem. Basically, now they keep upstream code snapshots in a separate
git branch and merge them every time a new tarball comes out.

The patches are then automatically rebased by git and if it works, they
are re-generated on upload to apply without fuzziness, otherwise git
asks the packager to manually resolve the conflict.

Sound a bit like sci-fi and the tools seem to me a bit complicated to
use, but might be a nice way out...