[users] Re: [packagers] DKMS modules ?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Nov 16 13:35:05 CET 2010

On 11/16/2010 06:51 AM, Christoph Maser wrote:
>> So unless someone stands up and wants to maintain the existing dkms
>> packages, I think we should get rid of the current dkms packages (at least
>> for RHEL5+).
> good idea. ELRepo is going a really good job and getting rid of
> unmaintaned packages is always a good idea.

If the assumption is the dkms world is only populated by local payloads,
then thats fine. I am not personally sure that is the case.

So while I agree and almost always have that kabi tracking with
reasonable testing is the way to go for local and perhaps inherited
payloads - there are a fair few third parties ( in reference with
rpmforge as being the second party ) who carry dkms payloads and can
offload to there. VirtualBox being perhaps the most user visible of the
lot, some qlogic drivers being one of the most obscure.

Is the thinking that drop everything dkms, or just dkms-<ko's> and
retain dkms itself ?

- KB