[packagers] el3 EOL

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Oct 5 11:46:23 CEST 2010

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 08:59 +0200, David Hrbáč wrote:
>
>> I would go to stop supporting EL3. Within very small time we have to
>> write spec files for el{3,4,5,6}. So I'd like to remove el3 from the
>> tree, move it into archive, maybe even stop mirroring.
>
> So what? I guess we can still keep on building until eol, but stop
> caring if builds fail...

That has been the policy for some time for a lot of applications, because
building something even for RHEL5 is often not possible. So keeping that
up for RHEL3 would not be any additional effort. And the upside is that a
newer rsync, syslinux of lftp are still possible.

>> Talking about EoL, I would also drop support and move into archive
>> rh{6.2,7.3,8.0,9}, el2.1, fc* without mirroring.
>
> Hasn't this been done already? It's just that the SPECs have never been
> cleaned up. I usually do it when I update it.

Yes, I think David is mainly addressing the fact that we still provide the
directory structure on the mirrors. I would like to get rid of Fedora and
Aurora as well, I send a mail to Dries about it but did not get a reply.

I will ping him again.