[packagers] Infrastructure - version control

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Apr 4 16:38:40 CEST 2011

hi,

On 04/03/2011 10:03 PM, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:
> https://github.com/zyv/rpmforge

took a while to load, but it got there in the end :)

> 0) Why git and not hg, bzr, monotone or you name it<distributed vcs>?

also worth adding here is that git has the most traction, feature churn
and documentation out there at the moment. The only issue is on windows,
and even that is being addressed to quite an extent.

> We don't really care, as long as there's a way to set up ACLs to give a
> packager the access only to the part of the tree (not that it is really
> needed right now, but might come in handy in the future and it can be
> done easily with gitolite).

That is/could be mostly a process thing. eg. if patch submission is via
a pull request only, no ACLs needed for anything. A couple of people
with 'release' privileges could do the needful.

> 2) So you want to force people to check out the whole repository if they
> only care about few packages?

git will soon let you do sub-tree checkouts :) depth of checkout works
now. So you dont really need to checkout the whole tree + history anyway.

- KB

btw, given that hooks can work online/offline as well, I'd vote to leave
the tree on github.