[packagers] Infrastructure - version control

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Mon Apr 4 22:28:53 CEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 11:35 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:

> Yes, in itself it shouldn't be very different. Although if we move to git
> I'd like to also host the other stuff in git (so we can completely abandon
> the subversion).

Actually, it turned out that our repository is not so hard to convert,
because the history was mostly linear up to now. I can even volunteer to
convert the part of it containing the tools for you and push them to the
organization account so that you have full control over them.

It's just that you have to decide on how you would like to see it.

Maybe you would like to have a tools repository with assorted stuff
inside as it is now, e.g.

https://github.com/zyv/rpmforge-tools

Or maybe you'd rather like me to extract several items into separate
repositories and then move them to your personal account (e.g. dstat,
mrepo, asciidoc-vim etc.) and leave all the rest in a collective
repository.

This will take a little bit more time, but it's also feasible. It all
depends on how do you feel would be the easiest for you to deal with it
and how you would like to accept contributions.

Maybe, if dstat has a rather active community on its own, it will be
easier for you to set up a wiki and an issue tracker on your GitHub
account, let people easily fork it and only it and accept pull requests
for this particular repository from your personal account.

Maybe, if you think it's not worth it, we can keep them all together.

You decide.

I am not promising that I will do it next day, but I will get it done
within a certain time span that we can agree upon.

> But that can happen gradually, there's no need to do an
> all-or-nothing migration.

Exactly! Agreed 100%.

Actually, we can still keep SVN in R/O (or even R/W for the tools part
of it) mode for historical reasons as long as it is need...

> > The next post I gonna make is about where to host the repo, but for now,
> > it would be really nice to hear something from Dag first.
>
> Present !

Great! So, let's drop bombs :-) I'm hitting the Send button in my other
e-mail window in a few minutes...