[packagers] Migration to Git / GitHub, accounts and opinions needed!

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Mon Apr 11 21:00:09 CEST 2011

Hi!

I have flooded this list with my git-related posts already, but that's
not enough. I've been working on GitHub migration today, and we need
your input now.

1) The first point concerns GitHub usernames. Could all current
packagers that have access to the svn repo right now please tell me
their GitHub user names and to which public e-mail address they are
registered?

This is needed for GitHub to match your contributions to your GitHub
username and also provide you with push access to the GitHub repository.
I have come up with the list of contributors already (see attached), but
if you want me to change something please let me know.

For instance please see:

https://github.com/dagwieers/dstat

Here you see that all the commits by Dag are linked to his username.

2) The second point that we can't agree on yet is the repository layout
for the spec files.

The most logical thing to do, of course, would be to put all the folders
into the root of the repository as I initially did:

https://github.com/zyv/rpmforge

However, there's a problem. GitHub does a log of DOM manipulation after
the page is loaded and on large pages it can freeze the browser for a
few seconds. Some think it's very annoying, because file browser is what
loads when you just open the repository.

So the alternative solution would be to put it inside a folder (i.e.
rpms), so that the page doesn't freeze when it is loaded and only if the
user opens the folder it freezes, but then there's nobody to blame for
it :-) The added benefit is that we can also put a README and few extra
files / folders in there...

I have of course opened an issue with GitHub already, but I don't see
them fixing it any time soon.

So, what would be your favorite? Would you like to see all folders in
the root or inside an extra folder?

Thanks!