[packagers] dtags and errata

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Apr 13 11:27:37 CEST 2011

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:

> I am a bit confused: what the dtag macro is used for?
>
>> From what I remember, when el2/3/4/5/5 macros were not there, it was
> used to identify which distribution you are currently building for from
> within the SPEC file.
>
> I was under impression, however, that it is always defined, so things
> like this
>
> %{!?dtag:%define _with_gtk2 1}
>
> do not make much sense to me. Am I missing something?

The dtag macro (previously dist macro, before Fedora used it for something
else) is not a standardized macro, it is only used in RPMforge. The above
statement was to make sure that in case someone would be rebuilding the
SRPM a default action was taken.

Matthias Saou mostly did that in case people wanted to rebuild on the
latest Fedora. Usually the default action is what one would do in the
latest upstream release, which in a distant past was latest Fedora (or
even Rawhide).

> Another point: what is the errata macro for? And I find it weird that
> it's value for el2 is lower than for rh7.

I don't think we use that anymore. But the reason el2 is lower than rh7 is
because RHEL2.1 was based on Red Hat 7.1 and Red Hat 7.2 and the latest
was Red Hat 7.3. So RHEL2.1 had older packages and older infrastructure
than Red Hat 7.3.

Not that any of that plays a role today :-)