[packagers] Distributing the product

David Hrbáč hrbac.conf at seznam.cz
Thu Apr 14 23:12:58 CEST 2011

Hi all,
I'd like to sum up distribution aspects of RF. I can see three main items:

1. reorganise repository
We want more mirrors, but our repository is quite messy. We begin with:
[DIR] aurora/                   -   Aurora apt/yum tree
[DIR] fedora/                   -   Fedora apt/yum tree
[DIR] redhat/                   -   Red Hat apt/yum tree
[DIR] source/                   -   Source RPM packages

As far I remember, there's a plan to get rid of Fedora dir.

Redhat contains of:
[DIR]    6.2/    04-Mar-2008 20:53     -
[DIR]    7.3/    04-Mar-2008 20:50     -
[DIR]    8.0/    04-Mar-2008 20:50     -
[DIR]    9/    04-Mar-2008 20:16     -
[DIR]    el2.1/    04-Mar-2008 20:51     -
[DIR]    el3/    04-Mar-2008 20:15     -
[DIR]    el4/    04-Mar-2008 20:14     -
[DIR]    el5/    04-Mar-2008 20:15     -
[DIR]    el6/    10-Nov-2010 23:37     -

The very same, plans are to get rid of 6.2,7.3,8.0,9, and el2.1. I'd
like to have the repository clean and reorganised before we raise the
call for the mirrors. The tree is over-combined. The final url is:
http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/i386/rpmforge/. I guess we can remove en
subfolder, we are not going to create any localised repositories. I'd
like to see something like this:
http://apt.sw.be/{el3,el4,el5,el6,sources}/{i386,x86_64,ppc}/{stable,testing,extras}/{RPMS,repodata,repoview}.
I personally prefer:
http://apt.sw.be/{el3,el4,el5,el6,sources}/{stable,testing,extras}/{SRPMS,i386,x86_64,debugi-386,i386,x86_64,debug-x86_64}/{repodata,repoview}

2. sqlitise repository
With respect to amount of packages we build, we really badly need sqlite
enabled repositories. This is something we want for years, and we need
it now.

3. distributing repository
There are many options to go with repository distribution
- rsync
- mirrormanager
- mirrorbrain

For now I'd like to stick with rsync only. I'm not sure about our
mirrors. http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/mirrors-rpmforge reads:
http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/$ARCH/rpmforge
http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/dag/redhat/el5/en/$ARCH/rpmforge
http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/dag/redhat/el5/en/$ARCH/rpmforge

while http://apt.sw.be/ reads:
      Main Mirror
      Bulgaria (BG): University of Sofia
      Canada (CA): University Of Calgary
      France (FR): Institute de Recherche et Coordination
Acoustique/Musique, RPMfind.net
      Germany (DE): Technische Universität Chemnitz, Universität Esslingen
      Ireland (IE): Ireland's National Education & Research Network
      United Kingdom (UK): UK Mirror Service
      United States (US): Iowa State University

thoughts:
- Dag's blackbox :o), tree without repodata, signing packages, pushing
the tree to master
- master repository, not propagated to yum client, creating repodata,
repoview (mirror.projectname.tld)
- mirrors synced over rsync with master
- create mirror maillist
- monitor mirrors with mirmon (mirror-status.projectname.tld or
mirror.projectname.tld/mirmon), I'm going to commit my mirmon spec file
- start with static yum mirror list
- clean up the mirror list, get in touch with those we have now
- call for the mirrors
- working on dynamic yum list based on mirmon status
- with tens of mirrors, there no need for geoip,
yum-fastestmirror-pluging should be enough for now
- (metalinks,geoip,MirrorMnagaer, MirrorBrain)

Regards,
DH