[packagers] Distributing the product

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Tue Apr 19 16:17:48 CEST 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 14:46 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> there is a 130G disk local to the machine, which has the repository
> hosted on there. The os is on a 73G disk. We have access to atleast a
> couple of hundred gigs over either nfs or iscsi ( but were not using it
> at the moment, since the repo fits onto the 130G disk )

You know, now I am completely confused.

Over the past two years, there were 3 topics that mentioned trimming. At
first, I was thinking that this was never implemented.

The reason why this whole trimming came about was because master mirror
at some point was using an NFS backend, as the repository was too large
to fit into the internal disks.

However, NFS was the bottle-neck for metadata generation and also was
DDoS-able which sometimes resulted in backend not being available, so
the only way to get rid of it was to trim the repository.

And you are telling me that somehow, the repository was never trimmed,
but it now lives on the internal disk and not on the NFS.

I guess that things have been discussed in person or IRC and never
posted to the mailing list, otherwise I can't see how I could have
missed so much.

---

Actually, to be honest, I have no clue what are the resources that we
have, where they are and what are the domain names that point to them. I
only know that:

1) Dag has a build system X which is hosted at his place
2) Karanbir has a master mirror which is only used by Heanet
3) Heanet mirrors to an unknown number of second-tier mirrors
4) Mailing lists as at Karanbir's, so was svn
5) Version control is now moved to github, wiki & site pending

Could people in the know please tell what they know about these objects
(tech specs, responsible admins), so I can wikify it and make a
comprehensive list for reference to rule out further confusion?

I will take care of starting a wiki as soon as I get a free time slot.