[packagers] Packager request

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Mon Jan 10 08:44:09 CET 2011

Hi Karanbir!

Nice to see at least someone other than Steve back from vacations :-) I
was feeling so lonely here in the mean time :-/

On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 23:39 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> I can definitely add acl's there. But I think the broader question worth
> answering might be - what should someone / anyone do in order to get
> into that ACL ?

That's a good question, actually. I was and I am still unaware of what
officially makes people qualify for it :-) At a time, the fact that I've
got commit access came as a surprise for me, but I'm trying my best.

> Would it be reasonable to expect someone to post a few patch's for the
> packages they care about - to this list, and then move onto direct
> commit access as a progression from there ?

Well, in the initial e-mail, he posted a link to the current repository
of the RPMForge derivative packages that he maintains for now. I guess
there are at least 20-30 packages, most of which are Perl modules,
bumped to the latest versions.

The problem is that it's quite a bit of labour to produce patches
against latest svn and then post them to the list. This could be
reasonable for at least few most prominent cases if someone would step
up to review all of them and then give an authoritative opinion on that,
but otherwise it's hardly rewarding...

In what concerns the packages that I am personally interested in, I
glanced through the rtorrent package. He came to a similar solution for
building against static Curl, however, I don't know if I were the source
of the inspiration :-) Otherwise, there were some patches that I was
thinking are worth integrating in my SPEC, but honestly, I'm so busy
these days, that I don't see the light ;-/