[users] Building for Non RedHat based distros

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun Jun 5 18:49:51 CEST 2005

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Andrew Wafaa wrote:

> Apologies for the relatively noob like question, but I thought this
> would be the best place to ask.
>
> I have been using the rpm feeds/packages that Dag, Matthias, Dries et
> al have provided for at least 2 years now quite happily on everything
> from RH9 to EL4 without any problems - thanks a lot guys.  I now use
> NLD9 quite a bit in addition to FC and RH, and was wondering if it
> would be a simple step of rebuilding the packages using the provided
> srpms or if there are other steps required?  I would love to help out,
> but my experience is fairly limited.

Some of the SRPMs build without any change, some need a little change (or
requires sysv script rework etc..) and some of them need a lot of change.

>From time to time I'm building some packages myself for SLES9, but I try
to have them made by Pascal Bleser, as he knows better what SuSE requires.

I wouldn't mind if some people start maintaining SPEC files that are
modified to work on SuSE under the RPMforge umbrella.

Kind regards,