[suggest] Re: [packagers] Re: RPMforge invitation

Avi Alkalay avibrazil at gmail.com
Tue May 31 15:40:56 CEST 2005

I don't know if this is the cerne of the discussion, but I think RPMForge
should be stupid-users-oriented.
More than a simple repository for RPMs, it could be an index for general
apps dumb (and smart) users look for:

First page would be:
-------------------------------------
What do you want to install today ?

- Update your system !!

(Desktop side)
- DVD/MPEG player (KDE, Gnome)
- Music management software (KDE, Gnome)
- Desktop eye-candy
- Fonts
- PDA conectivity and integration
- OpenOffice: templates, clipart
- Personal Finanse

(Server side)
- HA cluster management
- Network monitoring tools
- Web reporting tools
- Complete enterprise mail solution
- JBoss Application Server

(Development)
- Eclipse Rich Client Platform and IDE
- GIF manipulation library
- Chart generation stuff
- MPEG manipulation stuff

(General)
- HW drivers
- Filesystem drivers
- Java Virtual Machine and browser plugin

Of course this should be all linked to TLDP howtos when possible.

I think RPMForge should count number of user problems it can solve, and not
the number of RPMs it contain.

I have more ideas about this draft, and I'm ready to share and contribute if
people are interested.

Of course behind it advanced users can still choose between stable and
testing. But this is for advanced geeks that don't need 2 clicks actions or
documentation.

I like the way www.winfiles.com <http://www.winfiles.com> and
windowsupdate.microsoft.com <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com> work.

Regards,