[users] build error

hayden fraser haydenvf at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 3 01:40:31 CEST 2006

I'm trying to compile my first hello world program and I'm getting the following error which appears to me to be a link error. Not sure what -lXext is so I went to the fltk-config file an took out -lXext just to see what I would get and it then complained that it couldn't find -lX11. Are these flags, directories, or library files? Is there anyone that can give me a hand at working this out?

  $ fltk-config --compile hello.cxx

gcc -O2 -g -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -I/usr/X11R6/include -o hello hello.cxx -L/usr/X11R6/lib /usr/lib/libfltk.a -lm -lXext -lX11 -lsupc++
/usr/local/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status