[users] build error

Andrew Ziem ahziem1 at mailbolt.com
Thu Aug 3 02:51:36 CEST 2006

hayden fraser wrote:
> I'm trying to compile my first hello world program and I'm getting the
> following error which appears to me to be a link error. Not sure what
> -lXext is so I went to the fltk-config file an took out -lXext just to
> see what I would get and it then complained that it couldn't find
> -lX11. Are these flags, directories, or library files? Is there anyone
> that can give me a hand at working this out?
>
> $ fltk-config --compile hello.cxx
>
> gcc -O2 -g -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -m32 -march=i386
> -mtune=pentium4 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -I/usr/X11R6/include -o
> hello hello.cxx -L/usr/X11R6/lib /usr/lib/libfltk.a -lm -lXext -lX11
> -lsupc++
> /usr/local/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
I'm just guessing that your package is the same as certain others.  Some
-devel packages (such as QT and glib2) install scripts in
/etc/profile.d/ .  If you haven't restarted your system after installing
those -devel packages, their scripts will not have taken effect.  So,
either run those scripts or re-login.

Andrew