[users] Help on iperf

Sam Dev samjosoff at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 01:48:10 CEST 2006

I have a question on using Iperf with different Linux communities (Red Hat
Enterprise Linux and Fedora).

I have 2 separate setups

1) Redhat EL (3Gz processor Xeon 5100 series) (server) and a fedora core
(Client) (3 Gz processor and some old Xeon( not sure of the model)
processor)

2) Redhat EL (3Gz processor Xeon 5100 series) (server) and a Redhat EL
(Client) (3Gz processor Xeon 5100 series).

When I run iperf on these 2 setups with the following command

Server :-  iperf –s –l 64 –N –w 256K –i 2

Client : -  iperf –c (host name) –l 64 –N –w 256K –t 1000 –P 1 –i 2

For this single stream configuration the core is maxed out for the first
case transmit side while on the second setup it remains almost 100% idle on
both transmit side. The transfer BW on both cases are the almost same. Why
is iperf not using the CPU in the second case is my question.

I am kind of doubtful if there is some network configuration difference
between Redhat EL and Fedora that makes this difference in CPU usage?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Samson