[users] Circular obsoletes between Dries and FE6 rrdtool Perl bindings

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue Dec 5 22:54:30 CET 2006

Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Rex Dieter wrote:

>> Now, creating a new (sane) packaging policy that mandates lower case package
>> names would make a lot of sense.
>
> Could we revert those 'new' packages in FE that already existed in
> RPMforge to lowercase ? I can make a list of those. Some of the packages
> (like django) I would like to introduce as well in lowercase if possible.

Having a list of mismatched package names would be helpful.  Is that
beyond the list of upper-case-using packages you posted earlier?  Given
such a list, I'd be willing to work on the Fedora Extras' side of things
to minimize incompatibilities:

(1) Pass 1: add appropriate Obsoletes/Provides to lower-case equivalents
(easy).
(2) Pass 2: rename packages/modules to lower-case (harder), add
appropriate Obsoletes/Provides: for the old mixed-case names.  Renaming
packages in Extras will be a wee-bit complicated because this would also
require internal/infrastructure updates (cvs modules, owners/package
database, bugzilla components) as well.

> Another case for incompatibility is the perl-something and something-perl
> convention.

I think using perl-* namespace for perl-modules is a no-brainer.  My
quick search of the current Packaging Guidelines didn't find anything
about perl package naming, so that's something that should be addressed.

-- Rex