[users] Circular obsoletes between Dries and FE6 rrdtool Perl bindings

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Dec 5 23:59:24 CET 2006

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Rex Dieter wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Rex Dieter wrote:
>
> > > Now, creating a new (sane) packaging policy that mandates lower case
> > > package
> > > names would make a lot of sense.
> >
> > Could we revert those 'new' packages in FE that already existed in RPMforge
> > to lowercase ? I can make a list of those. Some of the packages (like
> > django) I would like to introduce as well in lowercase if possible.
>
> Having a list of mismatched package names would be helpful.  Is that beyond
> the list of upper-case-using packages you posted earlier?  Given such a list,
> I'd be willing to work on the Fedora Extras' side of things to minimize
> incompatibilities:
>
> (1) Pass 1: add appropriate Obsoletes/Provides to lower-case equivalents
> (easy).
> (2) Pass 2: rename packages/modules to lower-case (harder), add appropriate
> Obsoletes/Provides: for the old mixed-case names.  Renaming packages in Extras
> will be a wee-bit complicated because this would also require
> internal/infrastructure updates (cvs modules, owners/package database,
> bugzilla components) as well.

The list I gave you was just the mixed-case list (with the obvious correct
ones already removed). If you prefer, I can give a list of only the
incompatible ones (with RPMforge), both mixed-case as other incompatibles.

I'd just have to go over the list in CVS from Fedora Extras. If you want I
can include the ones from Fedora Core as well. (I don't think we have
incompatible ones with FC, but I know of some names that don't match the
guidelines)

> > Another case for incompatibility is the perl-something and something-perl
> > convention.
>
> I think using perl-* namespace for perl-modules is a no-brainer.  My quick
> search of the current Packaging Guidelines didn't find anything about perl
> package naming, so that's something that should be addressed.

I noticed before that there is a seperate Package Naming guideline. It
used to be part of the packaging guideline but given the sheer volume of
exceptions nowadays it makes sense to have it seperated.

The perl-packages are mentioned there. In almost all cases where
something-perl is used the perl-package was a subpackage of the something
package. rrdtool is an obvious one, but there are others. The same is try
for something-python and something-ruby or something-java.

Another class of incompatabilities are the pysomething -> python-something
names. RPMforge follows the following rule: if pysomething is a library,
it is renamed to python-something, if it is an application name, it stays
pysomething. If the application has its own libraries that are not used by
something else, it stays pysomething. otherwise they are put in the
subpackage python-something.

Kind regards,