[users] ClamAV updated?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Dec 20 18:03:55 CET 2006

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Dag Wieers wrote:

> > > It seems it did not yet make RHEL4 or yum is confused:
> > >
> > > $ rpm -q clamav
> > > clamav-0.88.6-1.el4.rf
> > >
> > > I see it in fact present on http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el4/en/i386/RPMS.dag/
> > >
> > > ..... trying a forced update:
> > >
> > > And now it updates 1 server. But not another. This is getting rather odd.
> > >
> > > Sounds like it is time to run `yum clean all`.
> >
> > Or switch to apt ? There is really no reason to not use apt instead of
> > yum.
>
> Apart from me having screwed up 2 systems with apt. yum may not have done
> everything I wanted but it never did something I most definitly did not want.
>
> It might be better now but the word apt still sends shivers down my spine.

I am interested how apt was able to screw up 2 systems. It always presents
you with an overview of what it is going to do, so even if it was
misinterpreting dependencies, it shouldn't screw up a system without your
consent.

Apt is more strict than yum as it doesn't allow you to force a package to
install even when not all dependencies are fullfilled, which is ALWAYS a
good thing. People that like to do --nodeps or --force should stay away
from production systems...

Did you open a bug ticket for this ? Did anyone looked at your problem
case ? It might just as well have been a user-induced problem, which I
suspect it is. And it shouldn't be irreversible at all. You probably could
have restored the system with apt as well.

Kind regards,