[users] dkms

Anthony Joseph Seward anthony.seward at ieee.org
Wed Dec 20 20:43:15 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 00:48 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Anthony Joseph Seward wrote:
>
> > After installing dkms-ipw3945 and requirements I tried to add the module
> > to dkms with
> >
> > dkms add -m ipw3945 -v 1.1.2-1.fc6.rf
> >
> > dkms then complains about the syntak of the dkms.conf file.  Looking at
> > the version of dkms in rpmforge, it seems to be very old.
> >
> > Does anyone have dkms-ipw3945 working?
>
> The dkms packages made by Matthias do not work with the old, old version
> of dkms in RPMforge. We never supported dkms before and the new packages
> really earn a proper dkms package. I will make work of it soon, I hope.

I was able to get things working by installing the dkms from Fedora
Extras.  For some reason, the much older version at rpmforge is
installed when I simply do 'yum install dkms'.

After using yhe sequence
	yum -y --disablerepo=rpmforge install dkms
	yum -y install dkms-ipw3945
everything works.

I think that if dkms is just removed from the repository for the distros
where it exists in Extras, then everything will work.  I'm using FC6.

> Kind regards,
> --   dag wieers,  dag at wieers.com,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --
> [all I want is a warm bed and a kind word and unlimited power]

Thanks,
Tony