[users] Victim of burglary

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sat Feb 4 14:03:09 CET 2006

I have to inform you of this sad tale that happened to me on thursday
afternoon. While I was at work, my girlfriend discovered that our
appartement was broken into.

The burglars took my laptop (Thinkpad T43), my girlfriends laptop
(Thinkpad T30, my backup laptop) and a 3rd laptop (Thinkpad T23) that was
being prepared for a family-member as well as other valuables. Since I
recently switched jobs, these laptops were recently bought and considered
an investement for the next 2 to 3 years.

Besides the financial loss, one of the laptops contained most of my
professional 'historical' memory (like my photo archive, instant messaging
logs, and more personal and professional material that is invaluable to
others).

Luckily they left alone my buildsystem (probably too heavy and risky) and
my CDs, DVDs and books alone (time consuming and risky). So I can recover
an old backup, but I lost almost 10 months of important data, and 10 years
of less important, but personal information.

For this reason I changed my wishlist (and webpage) slightly and added a
Paypal donation button. It would be naive to hope my gear will be
returned somehow (although I have been distributing flyers around the
neighboorhood asap and been looking for serial numbers and unique
characteristics so that my stuff can be identified in case we have
witnesses in this or other burglary cases).

If people were planning to thank me by buying something from my wishlist,
this would be a good time. And please consider donating via Paypal instead
(or shopping/visiting my Google adsense sponsors).

	http://dag.wieers.com/personal/wishlist.php

Thanks in advance and sorry for the bad news. I personally hate to bother
you about this, but I feel I have little choice :-(

By the way, if you have a 'cilinder' lock in your door (not sure if this
is what it is called in English, but I'll post some pictures), think twice
about changing it or secure the lock with additional metal armor. Because
those locks can be broken off in less than 10 seconds with fairly simple
equipment without disturbing the environment.

And do make regular backups and store them on offsite locations (!), even
when you feel safe or you think the effort it not worth the trouble.

PS For those people that have me listed in skype, please check your logs
and monitor skype for my presence since thursday 2 februari 15:23, that's
when I logged off. That's currently my only hope for recovery.