[users] Victim of burglary

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Sat Feb 4 18:49:31 CET 2006

Dag Wieers wrote:
> I have to inform you of this sad tale that happened to me on thursday
> afternoon. While I was at work, my girlfriend discovered that our
> appartement was broken into.
>
> The burglars took my laptop (Thinkpad T43), my girlfriends laptop
> (Thinkpad T30, my backup laptop) and a 3rd laptop (Thinkpad T23) that was
> being prepared for a family-member as well as other valuables. Since I
> recently switched jobs, these laptops were recently bought and considered
> an investement for the next 2 to 3 years.
>
> Besides the financial loss, one of the laptops contained most of my
> professional 'historical' memory (like my photo archive, instant messaging
> logs, and more personal and professional material that is invaluable to
> others).
>
> Luckily they left alone my buildsystem (probably too heavy and risky) and
> my CDs, DVDs and books alone (time consuming and risky). So I can recover
> an old backup, but I lost almost 10 months of important data, and 10 years
> of less important, but personal information.
>
> For this reason I changed my wishlist (and webpage) slightly and added a
> Paypal donation button. It would be naive to hope my gear will be
> returned somehow (although I have been distributing flyers around the
> neighboorhood asap and been looking for serial numbers and unique
> characteristics so that my stuff can be identified in case we have
> witnesses in this or other burglary cases).
>
> If people were planning to thank me by buying something from my wishlist,
> this would be a good time. And please consider donating via Paypal instead
> (or shopping/visiting my Google adsense sponsors).
>
> 	http://dag.wieers.com/personal/wishlist.php
>
> Thanks in advance and sorry for the bad news. I personally hate to bother
> you about this, but I feel I have little choice :-(
>
> By the way, if you have a 'cilinder' lock in your door (not sure if this
> is what it is called in English, but I'll post some pictures), think twice
> about changing it or secure the lock with additional metal armor. Because
> those locks can be broken off in less than 10 seconds with fairly simple
> equipment without disturbing the environment.
>
> And do make regular backups and store them on offsite locations (!), even
> when you feel safe or you think the effort it not worth the trouble.
>
> PS For those people that have me listed in skype, please check your logs
> and monitor skype for my presence since thursday 2 februari 15:23, that's
> when I logged off. That's currently my only hope for recovery.
>
> --   dag wieers,  dag at wieers.com,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --
> [all I want is a warm bed and a kind word and unlimited power]

dag, i am sorry to hear that.  first of all, if you like, i can set up
an account at messinet.com so you'll have a place for off-site storage
in chicago, il, us.  secondly, look to be receiving some things from
amazon.co.uk.

also, thank you for all the work you do.

-anthony messina

--
My Website: http://messinet.com
My Online Gallery: