[users] Denyhosts on RHEL3 - problem with Python version

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue Feb 28 18:11:55 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 09:31 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:

> But I'm afraid we cannot do that (ship a newer python in /usr/local/bin).
> I've disabled the denyhosts packages and fixed the SPEC file to require
> python >= 2.3, this effectively means there is no denyhosts available for
> EL3.

It's really pretty straight-forward to back-port later versions of
Python and install them in-line with the stock version; the only
over-lapping file will be /usr/bin/python, which you can replace
with /usr/bin/python23 in the new version (and then you have to fix the
specs for other things to use that instead of the default).

I'd fat-fingered an rsync and ended up destroying the RPMs I'd built of
2.4, but I just rebuilt them.  You can get them from here:

http://ftp.nakedape.cc/pub/nakedape/backports/el3/

I think at some point I submitted a Bugzilla RFE to RH to
replace /usr/bin/python with an alternatives-controlled symlink (same
for /usr/bin/{perl,ruby}), but it was ignored.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>
Naked Ape Consulting, Ltd