[users] Denyhosts on RHEL3 - problem with Python version

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Feb 28 18:25:59 CET 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Wil Cooley wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 09:31 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
>
> > But I'm afraid we cannot do that (ship a newer python in /usr/local/bin).
> > I've disabled the denyhosts packages and fixed the SPEC file to require
> > python >= 2.3, this effectively means there is no denyhosts available for
> > EL3.
>
> It's really pretty straight-forward to back-port later versions of
> Python and install them in-line with the stock version; the only
> over-lapping file will be /usr/bin/python, which you can replace
> with /usr/bin/python23 in the new version (and then you have to fix the
> specs for other things to use that instead of the default).
>
> I'd fat-fingered an rsync and ended up destroying the RPMs I'd built of
> 2.4, but I just rebuilt them.  You can get them from here:
>
> http://ftp.nakedape.cc/pub/nakedape/backports/el3/
>
> I think at some point I submitted a Bugzilla RFE to RH to
> replace /usr/bin/python with an alternatives-controlled symlink (same
> for /usr/bin/{perl,ruby}), but it was ignored.

Straight forward to package and install, but hard to do correct and not
mess up. A lot of tools on your system use python and use python modules.
At this moment you cannot install python modules for different python
versions.

And python without python-twisted, python-crypto, python-elementtree,
python-game, python-imaging, python-numarray, python-numeric, ... is not
very useful.

So personally if you need newer functionality that does not come with
RHEL3, consider to upgrade to RHEL4. I know this is not always possible
(or preferred), believe me, I work for a company that only has RHEL2.1 :)

I see the use in all this, but on the other hand, if you replace core
packages of RHEL3, what do you get ? Something that is no longer RHEL3.

A seperate repository for stuff that rplaces real core packages is useful,
but on the other hand how many permutations of such changes are you able
to support ? I don't want to go there myself...

Kind regards,