[users] Denyhosts on RHEL3 - problem with Python version

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue Feb 28 20:02:13 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 18:25 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:

> Straight forward to package and install, but hard to do correct and not
> mess up. A lot of tools on your system use python and use python modules.

That's why I've built the packages so they can be installed alongside
the stock packages.

> At this moment you cannot install python modules for different python
> versions.

Not from existing packages, no.  But using 'python2.4 setup.py XXX' gets
all the paths correct for building new ones.  Modifying current spec
files to do the right thing with a redefined __python is not too
difficult.  Fitting into your build system would probably be
non-trivial, but for the handful of one-offs, doable.  But I'm not
actually asking you to include them.

> And python without python-twisted, python-crypto, python-elementtree,
> python-game, python-imaging, python-numarray, python-numeric, ... is not
> very useful.

Really?  I had particular applications in mind when I built the 2.4
packages which required none of those.  I also wanted a chance to play
with the new stuff in 2.4 myself.

> So personally if you need newer functionality that does not come with
> RHEL3, consider to upgrade to RHEL4. I know this is not always possible
> (or preferred), believe me, I work for a company that only has RHEL2.1 :)
>
> I see the use in all this, but on the other hand, if you replace core
> packages of RHEL3, what do you get ? Something that is no longer RHEL3.

I started the now-accidentally-destroyed backports repository thinking
I'd replace stuff, but discovered that a lot of it didn't need
replacing--it would alongside the stock packages.  I mostly abandoned it
(and not rebuilt it), however, because I was planning to do just
that--upgrade to CentOS 4.  But now I'm seeing a hard lock-up trying to
install 4 on a box identical to one of my servers, so I might be stuck
with 3 for a while...

Of course, I'm using CentOS and not RHEL3 anyway ;)

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>
Naked Ape Consulting, Ltd