[users] Problems upgrading python-elementtree

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Wed Jan 18 05:09:20 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 08:51 -0500, Douglas E. Warner wrote:
> I'm currently using both Dag's and Dries' repositories separately - I'm not
> sure if this is the issue.   But currently I have the below upgrade ready,
> but won't complete due to the problems below.  Anybody have any ideas?
>
> -Doug
>

> # yum -d 0 check-update
> python-celementtree.i386                 1.0.5-1.2.el4.rf       dag
> python-elementtree.i386                  1.2.6-5.2.el4.rf       dries
>
> # yum update
> [..snip..]
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Package ffmpeg-libpostproc.i386 0:0.4.9-0.3.20051207.2.el4.rf set to be
> updated
> ---> Package python-elementtree.i386 0:1.2.6-5.2.el4.rf set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: libpostproc.so.0 for package: ffmpeg
> --> Processing Dependency: pkgconfig for package: ffmpeg-libpostproc
> --> Processing Dependency: python-celementtree for package: repoview
> --> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Package pkgconfig.i386 1:0.15.0-3 set to be updated
> ---> Package python-celementtree.i386 0:1.0.5-1.2.el4.rf set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: libpostproc.so.0 for package: ffmpeg
> --> Processing Conflict: python-celementtree conflicts python-elementtree
> --> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: libpostproc.so.0 for package: ffmpeg
> --> Processing Conflict: python-celementtree conflicts python-elementtree
> --> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> --> Running transaction check
> Error: Missing Dependency: libpostproc.so.0 is needed by package ffmpeg
> Error: Unable to satisfy dependencies
> Error: Package ffmpeg needs libpostproc.so.0, this is not available.
> Error: Package python-celementtree needs python-elementtree, this is not
> available.

The celementtree error has to do with conflicting package
dependencies/versions between CentOS and RPMforge - can't remember all
the gory details right now.

I solved this for my CentOS 4.2 systems by removing python-celementtree
and the urlgrabber that depended on it, updating, and building a local
version of urlgrabber from

http://linux.duke.edu/projects/urlgrabber/urlgrabber-2.9.6-1.src.rpm

See related recent discussions on ATrpms-users list
http://lists.atrpms.net/mailman/listinfo/atrpms-users in thread[s]
"[ATrpms-users] yum problem centOS 4".

The ffmpeg conflict is a different problem.  The ATrpms versions of that
package set seem to be working for me on the system I'm on now (IIRC I
found a different fix on another one, but can't get to that one right
now to check); however, be careful about adding ATrpms EL4 to your repo
config mix if it is not already present as other breakage may result.

Hopefully the repos will get this straight soon.

Phil