[users] pine and From field

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Jul 17 12:28:53 CEST 2006

Hi!

I have pine from rpmforge installed on several computers with CentOS
3. Several days ago, pine was updated to pine-4.64-2 which brought a
very user visible change: the "From" field appears in the Compose and
Reply modes at the top of the screen, replacing the "To" field that
was there before, resulting in very confused users; the previous
release (pine-4.64-1) did not have this behaviour. The configuration
of pine is the default one, so no local setting could be the culprit.

I have tried in vain to specify a set of header fields to be present
in the Compose and Reply modes, but I can't get rid of the "From"
field. Even when I manage to get rid of all other fields, the "From"
fields is still present, making me believe that it is somehow forced
to be present.

Based on the diff between the -1 and -2 releases I can see some lines,
part of bigpatch.diff, that seem to specify the presence of the "From"
field in certain modes. Is there some discussion somewhere about the
presence of these lines that would give some reasoning and maybe
provide some way of disabling this annoying behaviour ? (a bit of 'net
searching didn't provide any answer). Could this part of bigpatch.diff
be at least put in a separate patch so that people that want to take
it away (like me) would just need to comment out a .spec line and
rebuild ?

Thanks in advance!

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868