[users] Acrobat Reader 7.0.8

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Jun 14 14:01:47 CEST 2006

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Paul Smith wrote:

> On 6/14/06, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> > > This is just to call your attention to the fact that a new version of
> > > Acrobat Reader has been released:
> > >
> > > ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/7x/7.0.8/enu/
> >
> > There is a new nosrc package available since it was released. Given the
> > sheer volume (compressed 44MB) of the Acrobat Reader 7.0 series I've
> > stopped producing new 'binary' packages for each distribution.
> >
> > I don't understand why a PDF viewer should be *that* big. So I now
> > distribute a 6kb nosrc RPM package that you can rebuild yourself.
>
> Thanks, Dag. Where from could one get your nosrc RPM? (I have already
> searched for it at Dries site, but with no success.) And how should
> one proceed in order to rebuild it?

Something like this should work:

	Download the tarball and put it in:
		cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/
		lftpget ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/7x/7.0.8/enu/AdobeReader_enu-7.0.8-1.i386.tar.gz

	Then do:
		rpmbuild --rebuild http://dag.wieers.com/packages/acroread/acroread-7.0.8-1.rf.nosrc.rpm

In fact if you just do the rpmbuild --rebuild command it will
automatically tell you what files you require.

I'd like to have a more automated process for RPMforge. Either a seperate
tool that is smart enough to download all the requirements and do a
rebuild, or by simply providing a name (and/or subversion revision) it
downloads the correct SPEC file and downlaods everything required to
succeed building.

Kind regards,