[suggest] rsyslog RPM

james at se-community.com james at se-community.com
Sun May 14 14:20:40 CEST 2006

Hello everyone

Based on the spec file of the original syslogd, I created a source rpm and
two rpms for rsyslog (http://www.rsyslog.com).

I successfully compiled the binary-RPMs on CentOS 4.3. I don't expect any
problems building it on other redhat based distrubutions (like Fedora and
RHEL). The RPM contains the basic configuration files and the init script
that is presented in this thread:
http://www.rsyslog.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-57.phtml

To build rsyslog download the source RPM
http://www.se-community.com/~james/rsyslog/rsyslog-1.12.2-1.src.rpm and
execute:
rpmbuild --rebuild -bb rsyslog-1.12.2-1.src.rpm

To build rsyslog with mysql-support execute:
rpmbuild --rebuild --define "with_db 1" -bb rsyslog-1.12.2-1.src.rpm

There are two binary rpms for CentOS 4.3 available (with and without mysql
support) which should also work for RHEL 4:
http://www.se-community.com/~james/rsyslog/rsyslog-1.12.2-1.i386.rpm
http://www.se-community.com/~james/rsyslog/rsyslog-mysql-1.12.2-1.i386.r
pm

Please let me know if the RPMs work for you. It would be great if it could
be introduced in RPMforge. For the moment I could maintain this package.

Regards

James