[suggest] rsyslog RPM

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon May 15 21:05:51 CEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 14:20 +0200, james at se-community.com wrote:

> Based on the spec file of the original syslogd, I created a source rpm and
> two rpms for rsyslog (http://www.rsyslog.com).

OT regarding RPMforge inclusion, but you might want to carefully review
rsyslog before you invest too much time learning it and deploying it.
Perhaps it has improved since I looked at it early last year, but back
then it had some problems with format-string attacks and reliability--I
was trying to log to MySQL and found it unable to cope with losing the
MySQL connection.  I tried to hack a fork-and-monitor mode into it, so
the logging process that died could be restarted, but did not get far.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>
Naked Ape Consulting, Ltd