[users] apt & amavisd-new - anyone else have trouble with this ?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Sep 15 15:18:20 CEST 2006

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Derek Vair wrote:

> I'm trying to get amavisd running on a Fedora Core 1 system running updated sendmail, among other
> things (yes, upgrading to Core x would be nice, but we can't fly around the country upgrading the OS on
> 15 machines).

That's why I never choose Fedora Core for anything production. Sure it is
stable and has the latest technologies. But having to upgrade every 6
months to have security updates makes it a major PITA for anything stable
that you don't want to go and update every 6 months...

CentOS or RHEL is probably a much better pick.

> [...]
> and get this response:
>
>       [root at h1199 amavisd]# apt-get install -d amavisd-new
>       Reading Package Lists... Done
>       Building Dependency Tree... Done
>       Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>       requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>       distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>       or been moved out of Incoming.
>
>       Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
>       the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
>       that package should be filed.
>       The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>
>       The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>       amavisd-new: Depends: perl(Time::HiRes) (>= 1.49)
>       E: Broken packages
>       [root at h1199 amavisd]#
>
>  Because I did a "--force" install on libxml2 to get the new apt down, I modified /etc/apt/apt.conf slightly (the RPM::Allow-Duplicated line):
>
> APT {
> 	Clean-Installed "false";
> 	Get {
> 		Assume-Yes "false";
> 		Download-Only "false";
> 		Show-Upgraded "true";
> 		Fix-Broken "false";
> 		Ignore-Missing "false";
> 		Compile "false";
> 	};
> 	DistroVersion "1";
> };
>
> Acquire {
> 	Retries "0";
> 	HTTP {
> 		Proxy ""; // http://user:pass@host:port/
> 	};
> };
> RPM::Allow-Duplicated { "^libxml2$"; };
> RPM {
> 	Ignore { };
> 	Hold { };
> 	Options { };
> 	Install-Options "";
> 	Erase-Options "";
> //	Pre-Install-Pkgs { "/usr/bin/apt-sigchecker"; };
> 	Source {
> 		Build-Command "rpmbuild --rebuild";
> 	};
> 	Allow-Duplicated {
> 		"^kernel$";
> 		"^kernel-";
> 		"^gpg-pubkey$";
> 	};
> 	Order "true";
> };
>

> The perl(Time::HiRes) package is also available from the site as perl-Time-HiRes-1.38-4.i386.rpm.  By spending more time on this (I'm into it for about 6 man-days now), I can probably get the amavisd rpm down and decode what it needs, then rebuild it to suit - but I'm going to have to learn how the rpm package system works to do that, which is a daunting task at this point - as was modifying our own milter to do some of what amavisd does (which is where this whole process started - with a milter that needed improvement).
>
> Can anyone make an alternative (labour-saving) suggestion ?

The problem is that perl-Time-HiRes is part of the perl package, so we
cannot upgrade it ourselves. Normally apt will upgrade your packages to
the latest version that is possible to install. Because of the older
perl-Time-HiRes shipped with your (Red Hat's) perl it should take a
slightly older amavisd-new that works.

You can verify with:

	apt-cache policy amavisd-new

and if necessary do a:

	apt-get install amavisd-new=version-release

where version-release is something that has all the dependencies met.

The newer amavisd-new is there for those people that fixed their perl or
manually changed the perl-Time-HiRes package without conflicts.

I'm sorry that it bothered you, but that's the only way to please 2 camps.
At least you're using Apt (since Yum can't handle the situation).

Kind regards,