[suggest] Subversion 1.4 package broken

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Jan 18 21:17:20 CET 2007

--

> OK, good reasons.
>
> We've got some software with SVN 1.4 dependencies (however sane that
> may be), which is why it's important to us.
>
> How hard would it be to get SVN building with a statically linked apr
> - is this something I could help with? (I know my way round a Linux
> build, but RPM builds are somewhat new to me).

Of course you could help :) Look at the subversion 1.3 buildlogs for eg.
el4 and see what they do to build subversion. Then add a more recent apr
to the SPEC file and try to build it similarly to how subversion 1.3
build.

I assume there are specific configure flags to build statically for only
apr (as that was done for subversion 1.3) but if they removed it, you may
have to tweak either configure or the makefiles afterwards. We do not want
to end up with a complete statically build subversion.

Also, care must be taken to look what everything builds against. We don't
want to risk being vulnerable to a known security problem that gets
unpatched because we build statically.

The easiest is to check the difference afterwards with your dynamically
build binary and with the 1.3 binaries.

Kind regards,