[users] Re: faad2, mpeg4ip, libavcodec (ffmpeg?)

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Jan 12 14:03:10 CET 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Matthias Saou wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote :
>
> > As stated before, this is a bug in Yum.
>
> I'm not in agreement here. The proper fix is to not duplicate the
> libmp4v2 library, now that it's in a separate package, which would mean
> ripping it out of mpeg4ip and rebuilding the package against the new
> shared libmp4v2.

mpeg4ip needs to go, that's a fact.

> When two packages provide the same library which fulfills a
> requirement, the behaviour is pretty much undefined... it seems like
> yum probably just picks up the first one it finds alphabetically... why
> not.

Because it doesn't fullfill its dependencies. There is no point in taking
a path that doesn't work and Yum could have known if it wasn't trying to
optimize for speed instead of correctness.

> For me, it's a packaging bug that needs fixing :-)

I don't agree. In this case it may seem the easy road (because yum is
stupid, we have no other solution than to remove mpeg4ip) but when you mix
repositories there may be much more complicated situations that have a
validity on their own.

Modifying a repository to fit one of the dependency resolvers is not only
a dangerous thing to do (what if 2 dependency resolvers introduce
something that contradicts each other ?) the whole situation leads to our
userbase being split in two because some problems are visible in one part
and not in the other.

Besides, this not the only design problem Yum has...

Kind regards,