[users] youtube-dl requiring python >= 2.4

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 17:13:48 CET 2007

On 1/12/07, Ross Marshall <rmarshall at solidodesign.com> wrote:
> You can install python 2.4 and not have it break all of the scripts that
> depend on python 2.3. When doing the make, do a make altinstall, and it
> won't create the symlink, or just remake the symlink to the proper
> python, and change youtube-dl to point to the python 2.4 install. It
> would be nice to have the rh specific python scripts hard coded for
> python 2.3, but I don't know how to make packages.

Make, and make altinstall? as in from souce? how exactly will this
resolve an rpm dependency? unless Python suddenly has some install-fu
which updates the rpm database, this doesn't resolve the issue, it
simply leads to a situation where poor sys-admins are tempted to use
rpm --nodeps or --force. These are bad options and should not be
considered the proper method.

Ralph is correct, either the package was built with an improper dep,
or the package should not be in a repo for these distros, OR there
should be notes about a related/required repo WITH such python rpms to
meet the dependencies (pyvault) and a warning that it could cause
breakage.

George Orwell