[users] Mail from list detected as Spam

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Jan 24 20:02:20 CET 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Oliver Schulze L. wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
> > If that is the sole reason to tag a mail as being spam, than spamassassin
> > fails to deliver (I'm afraid).
>
> I run all other tests in SA, but I manually configured the BotNet testd with
> higher score.
> The problem is that the current Spam attacks is done via home PCs infected
> with
> trojans (botnet), so when you receive a spam from a dial-up users, it is
> 99.99% that
> the email is Spam.

This is not a dial-up. In fact, it is a fixed IP and corporate conection.
ADSL does not mean it is a dialup or a dynamic IP.

> The solution will be to have a public IP with reverse lookup, but I understand
> having a public IP is not always posible.

I don't know what you mean with public IP. But it is a fixed IP address.
It only doesn't have a custom reverse name (PTR record) set to it.

I don't know if that is possible with the contract they have. Dries may be
able to change that, but still I think the logic is wrong. ADSL does
not imply dialup or temporary network access. It's a media-related thing.

(It's like saying bittorrent traffic is always a copyright infringement)

> My solution is to add the mailman email to the whitelist ;)

Well, since you created the problem locally, any solution you create
locally is valid :) Regardless of the correctness of the logic used.

Kind regards,